The Fault in Our Stars – John Green

16 July 2013



Pages: 313 pages
Edition: Ebook
Language: English
Publisher: Dutton Books
Source: Gifted
Started: 5th of July 2013
Finished: 6th of July 2013

ADD TO GOODREADS BUY AT TBD
“Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.”



MY THOUGHTS

A book recommend as a book I might enjoy reading. I don’t know how to define enjoy, I wept, sobbed and cried for hours after finishing. The only thing I can say about this book is that this just one of the best ‘cancerbooks’ that I have read until now. Before you start on this book, be aware that you might end up sobbing and denying death. That’s all I have to say now.

In The Fault in Our Stars we follow Hazel, a 16-year old girl with stage IV Thyroid cancer and who has been walking around with an oxygen tank since she was first diagnosed at age 12. She realizes and she knows she is going to die, but she is on a drug that keeps the tumors at bay. At the Support Group, Hazel meets Augustus Waters, a guy in remission with one leg. They change each other’s lives drastically.

John Green is a fantastic writer, as I have learned from reading this book and a couple of his other books that I am reading at the moment. His knowledge about the English language is just phenomenal and the words he uses to pull you over the edge are just fascinating.

I hate the fact that you were reading and you know that the main characters are in great danger of dying and then we you least expect something terrible to happen, it happens. And at that moment, you just do not want to continue reading, because you know it will not end like you want it to end.

The only critical thing I have to mention is that John Green is describing some 17-year olds, but they sometimes do use words that teenagers do not use in regular life. On the other hand, Augustus and Hazel are no regular teenagers. But this is my only point of criticism about this book now.

“I'm in love with you," he said quietly. "Augustus," I said. "I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

Hazel is just like us, a book-fanatic and especially about one book An Imperial Affliction written by a Dutchman Peter Van Houten. After reading this book, I went googling Van Houten’s book, but it didn’t seem to exist, which is just too bad, as I got curious to read what happens in the book and why Hazel (and Augustus) seemed to adore it. I would really like to recommend this book to all of you, it’s a great book in my opinion, but it will make you sad and you will cry your eyes out afterwards.Of course, it’s a romantic love story, but it’s not a regular one. Unexpected things are going to happen. Do read this book.

“You gave me forever in the numbered days, and I am grateful.”

1 comment:

  1. A splendid review of a fantastic novel! It's funny how you googled An Imperial Affliction as I did exactly the same! Oh jolly good.

    ReplyDelete